Saturday, April 2, 2011

Celtics trip 2011

One of my goals this year was to see the Celtics play. One of my other goals was to save money, therefore we had to see them when they were in Texas. I bought the tickets(cheap seats) and planned to leave work early the day of the game. My husband and I never exchange gifts at Christmas so we wanted to take a shopping trip as well. We have been booked every weekend since then so we decided to stay out of town overnight and go shopping with what we would have spent on gifts. I ordered a green baseball style shirt from our local tshirt shop to iron my design on. I bought Devin and green hanes shirt and we both created iron-on with our custom designs. Mine said'"I'm built like this."(pounds chest) Kevin Garnett. That is a quote from my favorite celtic from his days in Minnesota with the Timberwolves. Celtics great Bill Russell asked him about his intensity and drive and he said,"I'm built like this." I found it very profound. Devin put a quote from Pulp Fiction and inserted a photo of KG in Samuel L. Jackson's role. Our shirts looked great and we ordered green NBA sweatbands to match.





I put off booking a room because I was waiting for the best deal. We usually spend alot to stay out of town with the kids. You know, we try to stay in a good area and have to pay for 4 people so it can get costly. When it's just us we usually are just there to sleep so we stay someplace cheap and unsafe.lol. The day before we left I was thinking how nice a private hot tub would be for my husband's ailing back. He has been in pain for about a month now and he really deserved some relief. So I was ready to spend the extra money for that luxury. Problem was these types of rooms really aren't advertised. None of the online search engines let me plug "in-room hot tub" into the criteria. Luckily with help from a couple of friends who are familiar with the area I was able to book a "honeymoon suite" at a major chain discount hotel . The concept of a honeymoon sweet is hilarious to me because we are so not those people. We don't even celebrate Valentine's day in any romantic way. When we got there I had a good laugh at the heart shaped hot tub(with mirrors all around and even above it!). But Devin ended up fitting 3 good soaks in our short time there so it was very worth it.



We arrived about an hour before the game and immediately enjoyed the camaraderie between all of our friends in green. After we found our seats we grabbed some pizza and soda, and saw the funniest/creepiest looking guy in his late twenties or early thirties. He was thin with a goatee and wore a tie, a pea type coat, and a fedora. The sleeves on his coat where shoved up to his elbow and he sooo looked like a detective from an old movie.We both noticed him and commented on his creep factor. Guess who was sitting in the seat next to Devin......creepy guy! He turned out to be a very interesting and nice guy. Plus he was a Celtic fan! To my right there were 3 middle aged Hispanic women who were lusting over the Spurs for most of the game.



I was so excited to pick out each player and coach. "I am looking at Ray Allen." It's always crazy when you get see someone you admire in person-even if it's from way up high, I still laid eyes on Doc Rivers. So cool. All the fans were well behaved except when Devin told one Celtics fan that yelling "18 banners" was too far. Sorry bro, I was really excited.The score was tied up at the half.For those of you who don't follow the NBA-the Spur have lead their conference all year and are a very solid team. We(the Celtics) have lead our conference up until about a week ago. So it was a competitive game. We usually beat playoff contending teams and lose to the nobodys. This game was no different. WE WON! And thank goodness because that would have been quite the walk of shame in our custom shirts.
We walked out of the arena on top of the world. The camaraderie was out of the closet at this point and high fives between strangers were in order. I heard music from the band they had advertised during the game. We headed toward the good time on a whim. It was totally unlike us but I am soooo glad we stayed. This cover band,Blue Finger Disco, was amazing. I love a good cover band. I mean what's better than knowing all the songs at a concert. They rocked the Blackeyed Peas, Lady Gaga, Kid Rock, Michael Jackson and many other artists' songs. We hung out near the stage singing and dancing and occasionally mingling with our new green cult. It was the most fun time ever. We took a cab back to our suite and hit up the hot tub. Then Devin was hungry and insisted on leaving after midnight to go get the Burger King he spends his life jonesing for.  I tried to convince him to just wait for breakfast but the man was hungry. This isn't my story to tell but I will tell you this:he ended up driving through a military check point AND not having a delicious grilled treat.


This guy did one armed push ups while singing for a considerable amount of time!

Friday morning we drove to the Round Rock outlets to shop. I found jeans at the FIRST store we went to. You ladies know how difficult the search for jeans can be and I was really hard up for some new denim since that is what I wear to work and I haven't shopped for jeans in 3 years. We were not browsing as we both had specific list building for this trip for sometime. I needed jeans, a white button down, several belts, comfy black non-tennis shoes, and sunglasses. I got jeans at Tommy Hilfiger, a white top at NY&co, 2 belts at gap, and sunglasses at Fossil. SCORE. Devin needed a certain color fitness clothes and some new khaki shorts since he has lost so much weight. We found every thing he needed at the nike store for a great price. We picked up clothes for the kiddos at childrens place and got gifts for the family who kept them so we could go on this trip. It was so nice to find everything we needed and to not go off the list. We stayed way under our shopping budget so as soon as we got home I ordered the Tom's shoes I have been eyeing-the gold glitters.
The Celtics were great. The band was great. The shopping was a success. We need those days away from everything like oxygen and now are glad to be back to our kids, jobs, and life in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment